After my fellowship, I returned to Chapel Hill as an attending physician in the Department of Orthopaedics. I am now the Chief of Sports Medicine and Yeargan Professor and have been the team physician for the Tar Heels for the past 17 years.
Education and Experience
- Virginia Commonwealth University, 1998
- Honors: Member, Alpha Omega Alpha
- University of North Carolina Hospitals, 1999 - 2003
- Area: Orthopaedic Surgery
- Rush University Medical Center, 2003 - 2004
- Area: Sports Medicine and Shoulder
- University of North Carolina Hospitals, 1998 - 1999
- Area: General Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Board Certified, 2016
- Orthopaedic Surgery-Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Board Certified, 2016
- Sports medicine
- Surgery of the shoulder and knee
- 2016-present Professor of Orthopaedics, UNC School of Medicine
Honors, Awards, and Achievements
- Selected as Best Doctor’s Award, 2018
- Keynote Speaker for Montana Orthopedic Society, 2018
- Distinguished Yeargan Family Professor, 2017
- Best Doctors in America, 2017
- Selected as a Top Doctor in Chapel Hill, NC by the International Association of Orthopedic Surgeons (IAO), 2017
- AOSSM/ESSKA Traveling Fellowship, European Tour, 2016
- UNC Health Care and Faculty Physician Award for Carolina Care Excellence, 2015-2016
- The O’Donoghue Award, 2003
- William C. Patton Award for Best Resident Teacher, 2003
- Alpha Omega Medical Honors Society, 1998
- Dean’s List–The College of William and Mary, 1993
- Creighton RA, Romeo AA, Brown FM Jr, Hayden JK, Verma NN. Revision arthroscopic shoulder instability repair. Arthroscopy. 2007 Jul;23(7):703-9.
- Bushnell BD, Whitener GB, Rubright JH, Creighton RA, Logel KJ, Wood ML. The use of suture anchors to repair the ruptured quadriceps tendon. J Orthop Trauma. 2007 Jul;21(6):407-13.
- Creighton RA, Cole BJ, Romeo AA, Nicholson GP, Lorenz EP. Effect of lateral meniscus allograft on shoulder articular contact areas and pressures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2007 May-Jun;16(3):367-72.
- Chappell JD, Giuliani C, Garrett WE, Yu B, Creighton RA. Kinematics and emg of landing preparation in vertical stop-jump: risks of non-contact acl injury. Am J Sports Med. 2007 Feb;35(2):235-41.
- Creighton RA, Cole BJ. Upper extremity deep vein thrombosis after shoulder arthroscopy: case report. J Shoudler Elbow Surg 2007 Jan-Feb;16(1):e20-2.
- Bushnell BD, Byram IR, Weinhold PS, Creighton RA. The use of suture anchors in repair of the ruptured patellar tendon: a biomechanical study. Am J Sports Med 2006;34:1492-1499.
- Creighton RA, Bach BR Jr., Bush-Joseph CA. Evaluation of the medial elbow in the throwing athlete. American Journal of Orthopedics 2006;35:266-269.
- Creighton RA, Kindler J, Bach BR Jr. Compartment syndrome following recurrent ankle inversion injury. Orthopaedics 2005;28:703-705.
- Pearl ML, Romeo AA, Wirth MA, Yamaguchi K, Nicholson GP, Creighton RA. Decision making in contemporary shoulder arthroplasty. Instr Course Lect 2005;54:69-85.
- Creighton RA. Gender differences in anterior cruciate ligament injuries. THEACC.com-Medical Sciences, October 2004.
- Silver WP, Creighton RA, Triantafillopoulos IK, Devkota AC, Weinhold PS, Karas SG. Thermal microdebridement does not affect the time zero biomechanical properties of human patellar tendons. Am J Sports Med 2004;32:1946-1952.
- Wakim EP, Creighton RA, Fox JA, Bach BR Jr. Development of an extensive patellar osteophyte following acl reconstruction. J Knee Surg 2004;17:172-174.
- Karas SG, Creighton RA, DeMorat GJ. Glenohumeral volume reduction in arthroscopic shoulder reconstruction: a cadaveric analysis of suture placation and thermal capsulorrhaphy. Arthroscopy 2004;20:179-184.
- Patellar Tendon Allograft for ACL Reconstruction. Cole and Sekiya Surgical Techniques of the Shoulder, Elbow, and Knee in Sports Medicine, 1st edition, 2008. Chandler JW, Creighton RA.
- Revision of Loose Humeral Component. Advanced Reconstruction Shoulder, 1st edition, 2007. Romeo AA, Creighton RA, Gomoll AH.
- Autologous Osteochondral Transplantation: Background, Surgical Indications, and Results. Insall & Scott’s Surgery of the Knee, 4th edition, December 2005. Creighton RA, Cole BJ.
- Knee Bracing for Athletic Injuries. Insall and Scott’s Surgery of the Knee, 4th edition, December 2005. Creighton RA, Bach BR Jr.
- Arthrofibrosis: Evaluation, Prevention, and Treatment. Techniques in Knee Surgery. 4(3):163-172, September, 2005. Creighton RA, Bach BR Jr.
- Basic Science of Ligament Healing: Medial Collateral Ligament Healing With and Without Treatment. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review. 13(3):145-150, September 2005. Creighton RA, Spang JT, Dahners LE.
- Histology, Physiology and Biochemistry of Muscle. Musculoskeletal Syllabus 2nd Year UNC medical school. May 2005. Creighton RA.
- Revision Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction with Patellar Tendon Allograft: Surgical Technique. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review. 13(1):38-45, March 2005. Creighton RA, Bach BR Jr.
- The bony apprehension test for shoulder instability. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, March 2008, San Francisco, CA. (poster)
- Shoulder Instability Arthroscopic Set-up and Techniques. Orthopaedic Learning Center (AAOS/ASES), April 2007, Rosemont, IL.
- Suture Anchors in Patellar Tendon Repair
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Poster, July 2006, Hershey, PA
- Southern Orthopaedic Association, Podium, July 2006, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- North Carolina Orthopaedic Association, Podium, October 2005, Pinehurst, NC
- Shoulder Instability Operative Indications. Orthopaedic Learning Center (AAOS/ASES), July 2006, Rosemont, IL
- Sports Injuries in Children: Upper Limb. Medical Alumni Program-UNC Pediatrics, October 2006, Chapel Hill, NC. (podium)
- Treatment of bony defects in shoulder instability. North Carolina/South Carolina Orthopaedic Associations, Podium, October 2006, Asheville, NC.
- Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation in Young Patients. North Carolina Orthopaedic Association, Podium, October 2005, Pinehurst, NC.
- Arthroscopic Revision Shoulder Instability Repair: Minimum 2 year follow-up. Arthroscopy Association of North America, Podium, May 2005, Vancouver, BC.