Accessibility Tools

General Resources

Specific Resources

Behavioral Health Resources

How Do I Find Mental Health Treatment?

  • If you have health insurance, look on your insurance card for the phone number or website to access a list of mental health providers who accept your insurance.
  • If you have Medicaid look at the back of your Medicaid card for the Member line or Behavioral Health Services number
  • For Medicare covered services go to
  • For patients with no insurance search for your county's MCO (Managed Care Organization). Call the phone number to schedule an appointment.
    • Orange County: Freedom House Recovery (104 New Stateside Dr. Chapel Hill, NC Phone: 919-942-2803, Open 24 hours)

Mental Health & Substance Use Crisis

  • List of available mental health or substance use crisis resources by county here Crisis Solutions

Peer Support Hotline – Mental Health

Suicide & Crisis Hotlines

Managed Medicaid Plans

  • Patients with Managed Medicaid can find the phone numbers for their mental health plan and behavioral health crisis line on the back of their Medicaid card.
  • For help with issues with any managed Medicaid entity, call the NC Medicaid Ombudsman 1-877-201-3750 Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm except for state holidays.

Medicare Plans

  • For Medicare covered services go to

Private Insurance Plans or Pay Out of Pocket

  • Psychology Today: Searchable directory of therapists who provide in-person or telehealth services.
  • Better Help: Searchable directory of therapists who provide in-person or telehealth services.


Public Transportation and Paratransit (often free or low-cost from local public transportation agencies for people 60+ or with disabilities. When you call, ask about curb-to-curb paratransit service).

  • Burlington: Link Transit, ph (336) 222-LINK (5465)
  • Cary: GoCary Door-to-Door, ph (919) 485-RIDE (7433)
  • Chapel Hill / Carrboro: EZ Rider, ph (919) 969-4919
  • Chatham County: Chatham Transit, ph (919)542-5136 ext. 102
  • Durham County: GoDurham Access, ph 919-560-1551
  • Hillsborough: Orange Public Transportation, ph (919) 245-2008
  • Raleigh: GoRaleigh Access, ph (919) 996-3459
  • Rural Wake County: Go Wake Access, ph 919-212-7005

If you’re interested in obtaining a Handicapped Placard please contact your provider.

  • For additional transportation resources please contact your insurance company’s transportation servicer or your Primary Care Provider (for Medicaid recipients this phone number is listed on the back of your insurance card)
  • NC 211
  • Neighborhood Navigator

Medication Assistance Resources

UNC Pharmacy Assistance Programs (PAP)

At UNC Health, we offer two programs that may help you to receive your medications at a lower cost.

NCDHHS Medication Assistance Program Sites (MAP)

The Assist Fund (Provides financial support to chronically ill patients with high-cost medications. Telephone number: (855) 845-3663

GoodRx Provides drug price comparisons varying by pharmacy. GoodRx coupons available to pay less than the cash price for the prescription that you bring with you to the pharmacy when picking up your prescription.

Good Days Provides financial support by covering co-pays for those with life-altering conditions. Telephone number: (877) 968-7233

Needy Meds Helps patients locate assistance programs to help them afford their medications and other healthcare costs. Telephone number: (800) 503-6897

RxHope Helps patients obtain free or low-cost prescription medications.

Food Resources

Food Finder - Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina (

NC 211

Neighborhood Navigator | AAFP

  • Other Nutritional Assistance Including WIC/SNAP

    Do I Qualify for Food Stamps?

    • To learn about whether you qualify for Food and Nutrition Services, or Food Stamps, you can apply online with ePass using this link: , apply in person at your local department of social services by calling 919-560-8000 for Durham County or 919-245-2800 for Orange County, or complete a paper application using this link: and drop it off at your local Department of Social Services(DSS) located at in your county. DSS in Durham County is located at 414 East Main Street, Durham, NC 27702-0810 and DSS in Orange County is located at 113 Mayo St, Hillsborough, NC 27278.

Services Summer Meals Site Finder (USDA Food and Nutrition) Find a meal service site near where you live, below. You may also text “Summer Meals” to 914-342-7744. or call the National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-348-6479 to find a site near you.

USDA National Hunger Hotline can be reached Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET. at 1-866-3-HUNGRY (1-866-348-6479) (for English) or 1-877-8-HAMBRE (1-877-842-6273) (for Spanish).

Intimate Partner Violence / Sexual Assault

  • Orange County: Compass Center
    • (919) 968-4610
    • Services Provided: 24 Hour Crisis Line, Emergency Housing, DV Crisis Counseling, Legal Support, Safety Planning, Support Groups
  • Durham County: Durham Crisis Response Center
    • (919) 403-9425
    • Services Provided: 24 Hour Help Line, Shelter, Legal Advocacy, Non-residential Services, Hospital Accompaniment, Counseling and Support Groups, Community Education and Outreach).
  • Wake County: InterAct
    • (919) 828-7501
    • Services Provided: 24 Hour Crisis Line, Community Engagement and Outreach, Court Advocacy and E-Filing of Protective Orders, Emergency Shelter, Individual and Group Counseling, Personal and Economic Empowerment and Sexual Assault Services, Youth Education Services, The Solace Center

Need resources for another county in NC?

North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCCADV) A link to a list of local domestic violence agencies serve all 100 counties across North Carolina. They offer a variety of services, from 24-hour confidential crisis hotlines to emergency shelter to support groups and counseling.