- NC 211 (has links to a variety of resources: food pantries, transportation, utility assistance, shelters)
- Neighborhood Navigator (has links to a variety of resources: food pantries, transportation, utility assistance, shelters)
- NC Department of Social Services Number List (all counties) (information on Food Stamps, access transportation van, applying to Medicaid, adult protective services, child protective services)
- UNC Financial Assistance (Charity Care)
- UNC Pharmacy Assistance Programs (PAP)
- Free Clinics in NC (Dental/Primary Care/OBGYN/Pharmacy Services/Labs and Testing)
How Do I Find Mental Health Treatment?
- If you have health insurance, look on your insurance card for the phone number or website to access a list of mental health providers who accept your insurance.
- If you have Medicaid look at the back of your Medicaid card for the Member line or Behavioral Health Services number
- For Medicare covered services go to Medicare.gov
- For patients with no insurance search for your county's MCO (Managed Care Organization). Call the phone number to schedule an appointment.
- Orange County: Freedom House Recovery (104 New Stateside Dr. Chapel Hill, NC Phone: 919-942-2803, Open 24 hours)
- List of available mental health or substance use crisis resources by county here Crisis Solutions
- The Hopeline NC: Phone: 919-231-4525, Online chat: www.hopeline.com
- National Hopeline Network: Phone: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Phone: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255), Online chat: Online chat (ages 15-24): www.teentalklinenc.org
Managed Medicaid Plans
- Patients with Managed Medicaid can find the phone numbers for their mental health plan and behavioral health crisis line on the back of their Medicaid card.
- For help with issues with any managed Medicaid entity, call the NC Medicaid Ombudsman 1-877-201-3750 Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm except for state holidays.
- For Medicare covered services go to Medicare.gov
Public Transportation and Paratransit (often free or low-cost from local public transportation agencies for people 60+ or with disabilities. When you call, ask about curb-to-curb paratransit service).
- Burlington: Link Transit, ph (336) 222-LINK (5465)
- Cary: GoCary Door-to-Door, ph (919) 485-RIDE (7433)
- Chapel Hill / Carrboro: EZ Rider, ph (919) 969-4919
- Chatham County: Chatham Transit, ph (919)542-5136 ext. 102
- Durham County: GoDurham Access, ph 919-560-1551
- Hillsborough: Orange Public Transportation, ph (919) 245-2008
- Raleigh: GoRaleigh Access, ph (919) 996-3459
- Rural Wake County: Go Wake Access, ph 919-212-7005
If you’re interested in obtaining a Handicapped Placard please contact your provider.
At UNC Health, we offer two programs that may help you to receive your medications at a lower cost.
The Assist Fund (Provides financial support to chronically ill patients with high-cost medications. Telephone number: (855) 845-3663
GoodRx Provides drug price comparisons varying by pharmacy. GoodRx coupons available to pay less than the cash price for the prescription that you bring with you to the pharmacy when picking up your prescription.
Good Days Provides financial support by covering co-pays for those with life-altering conditions. Telephone number: (877) 968-7233
Needy Meds Helps patients locate assistance programs to help them afford their medications and other healthcare costs. Telephone number: (800) 503-6897
RxHope Helps patients obtain free or low-cost prescription medications.
- Orange County PORCH Food Pantry, Food Distribution, PORCH Fresh Foods for Families, Food for Schools.
- Other Nutritional Assistance Including WIC/SNAP
- To learn about whether you qualify for Food and Nutrition Services, or Food Stamps, you can apply online with ePass using this link: https://epass.nc.gov/ , apply in person at your local department of social services by calling 919-560-8000 for Durham County or 919-245-2800 for Orange County, or complete a paper application using this link: https://files.nc.gov/ncdhhs/dss-8207-ia.pdf and drop it off at your local Department of Social Services(DSS) located at in your county. DSS in Durham County is located at 414 East Main Street, Durham, NC 27702-0810 and DSS in Orange County is located at 113 Mayo St, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
Services Summer Meals Site Finder (USDA Food and Nutrition) Find a meal service site near where you live, below. You may also text “Summer Meals” to 914-342-7744. or call the National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-348-6479 to find a site near you.
USDA National Hunger Hotline can be reached Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET. at 1-866-3-HUNGRY (1-866-348-6479) (for English) or 1-877-8-HAMBRE (1-877-842-6273) (for Spanish).
- Orange County: Compass Center
- (919) 968-4610
- Services Provided: 24 Hour Crisis Line, Emergency Housing, DV Crisis Counseling, Legal Support, Safety Planning, Support Groups
- Durham County: Durham Crisis Response Center
- (919) 403-9425
- Services Provided: 24 Hour Help Line, Shelter, Legal Advocacy, Non-residential Services, Hospital Accompaniment, Counseling and Support Groups, Community Education and Outreach).
- Wake County: InterAct
- (919) 828-7501
- Services Provided: 24 Hour Crisis Line, Community Engagement and Outreach, Court Advocacy and E-Filing of Protective Orders, Emergency Shelter, Individual and Group Counseling, Personal and Economic Empowerment and Sexual Assault Services, Youth Education Services, The Solace Center
Need resources for another county in NC?
North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCCADV) A link to a list of local domestic violence agencies serve all 100 counties across North Carolina. They offer a variety of services, from 24-hour confidential crisis hotlines to emergency shelter to support groups and counseling.