In the community, I serve as team physician for Chapel Hill High School and the Raleigh Flyers and Raleigh Radiance professional Ultimate teams. I also serve on the USA Ultimate Medical Advisory Working Group and work as an event physician for the National Basketball Association. I am proud to have the opportunity to work in service of the people of the state of North Carolina as a member of UNC Orthopaedics.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2006 - 2010
- Honors: Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2015 - 2016
- Area: Primary Care Sports Medicine
RESIDENCY AND CHIEF RESIDENCY
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010 - 2015
- Area: Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
BACHELOR OF ARTS
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2001 - 2005
- Area: Biology/Psychology
- Certificate of Added Qualification-Sports Medicine, Board Certified, 2016
- Internal Medicine, Board Certified, 2014
- Pediatrics, Board Certified, 2014
- Treating musculoskeletal conditions with traditional and novel therapies.
- Helping people achieve and maintain their personal activity and fitness goals.
- Working with athletes of all ages, interests and ability levels.
- Using musculoskeletal ultrasound and minimally invasive procedures to improve care.
- Providing medical coverage at sporting events.
- 2016 – present Assistant Professor, Departments of Orthopaedics, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- 2016 – present Team Physician, UNC Sports Medicine
- 2019 – present Associate Director and Continuity Clinic Director, Internal Medicine – Pediatrics Residency Program
- UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence (2018-2019)
- Floyd W. Denny Pediatric Society Resident Award (2014)
- Robert C. Cefalo House Officer of the Year Award (2013)
- Janet J. Fischer Award (2013)
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine Academy of Educators (2013)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2010)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society (2010)
- Willett CS, Berkowitz JN. Viability effects and not meoitic drive cause dramatic departures from Mendelian inheritance for malic enzyme in hybrids of Tigriopus californicus populations. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 2007 May; 20(3): 1196–1205.
- Berkoff DJ, Sandbulte ZW, Stafford HC, Berkowitz JN. Fibrin Glue for Olecranon Bursitis: A Case Report. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease. 2016 Feb; 8(1): 28-30.
- Berkowitz J, Moll S. Athletes and Anticoagulation: Return to Play After DVT/PE. http://www.acc.org. October 19, 2016. Accessed October 19, 2016. http://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2016/10/19/15/13/athletes-andanticoagulation.
- Berkowitz JN, Moll S. Athletes and blood clots: individualized, intermittent anticoagulation management. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 2017 Mar 16. doi: 10.1111/jth.13676. [Epub ahead of print]
- Stafford H, Sakr M, Harrison N, Berkowitz J, Berkoff D. “Bloody Good Move.” Training & Conditioning. Nov 2011: 14–18. Print.
- Berkowitz, Joshua. Isolating and Sequencing the Gene(s) Encoding Malic Enzyme in the Copepod Tigriopus californicus for Investigation of the Evolutionary Process. Oral presentation given at UNC Biology Undergraduate Research Honors Symposium; 2005 Mar 25; Chapel Hill, NC.
- Berkowitz, Joshua. Thoughts? Cognitive Bias and Medical Decision-making. Internal Medicine AHEC Grand Rounds. Invited lecture given at New Hanover Regional Medical Center; 2015 Feb 25; Wilmington, NC.
- Berkowitz, Joshua. Concussion: On the Sidelines and In the Clinic. Internal Medicine Grand Rounds. Invited lecture given at WakeMed Hospital; 2015 Sept 22; Raleigh, NC.
- Berkowitz, Joshua. Concussion: On the Sidelines and In the Clinic. Cone Health Medical Grand Rounds. Invited lecture given at Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital; 2016 July 22; Greensboro, NC.
- Berkowitz, Joshua. Overuse Injuries in the Pediatric Athlete. University of North Carolina Pediatrics Grand Rounds. Invited lecture given at University of North Carolina Hospitals; 2017 Jan 19; Chapel Hill, NC.
- Berkowitz, Joshua. From the Patient Perspective: Commonly Asked Questions from the Athlete with VTE. Invited lecture given at ACSM Annual Meeting, Symposium on Venous Thromboembolism in Athletes: Risk Factors, Treatment and Prevention; 2017 June 2; Denver, CO.
- Sakr M, Boggess B, Berkowitz J, Stafford H. Tree in the Knee. Poster session presented at: AMSSM 21st Annual Meeting; 2012 Apr 23; Atlanta, GA.
- Garneau W, Buzan A, Berkowitz J. IgA Nephropathy Initially Presenting with Rhabdomyolysis. Poster session presented at: ACP North Carolina Chapter Scientific Session; 2015 Jan 13; Durham, NC.
- Berkowitz J, Stafford H. Muscle Mass? Poster session presented at: AMSSM 24th Annual Meeting; 2015 Apr 18; Hollywood, FL.
- Berkowitz JN, Skinner AC, Lohr JA. Carrying the Weight: Athletics and Obesity in High School Football Players. Poster session presented at: Pediatrics Academic Societies Annual Meeting; 2015 Apr 27; San Diego, CA.
- Berkowitz J, Ciocca M, Berkoff D. Severe Foot Pain Without Acute Injury in a Collegiate Football Player. Poster session presented at: AMSSM 25th Annual Meeting; 2016 Apr 17; Dallas, TX.
- Berkowitz J, Register-Mihalik J, Herzog M, Blount J, Fonseca J, DeMaio V, Bloom OJ. Relationships between Demographics, Neurocognitive Measures, and Near Point Convergence in Pediatric and Adolescent Concussion Patients. Poster session presented at: AMSSM 25th Annual Meeting; 2016 Apr 18; Dallas, TX.
- Florence AK, Berkowitz JN. Pain to the Bone: Refractory Thigh Pain in an Active Young Man. Poster session presented at: AMSSM 26th Annual Meeting; 2017 May 10; San Diego, CA.