Education and Experience
- Medical College of Georgia, 2003 - 2007
- University of Kentucky, 2007 - 2012
- Area: Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of Colorado, Denver, 2012 - 2013
- Area: Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Board Certified, 2015
- Management of Spinal deformity including casting, bracing and surgical options for Early Onset Scoliosis, Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis, Neuromuscular Scoliosis, Kyphosis, and Spondylolisthesis.
- NONfusion techniques including Magec(magnetic distraction rod), vertical expandable prosthetic titanium rib(VEPTR) and Vertebral body tethering.
- Hip pathology including Dysplasia management in adults, adolescents and children performing open Hip Preservation procedures including Bernese Periacetabular Osteotomy and Surgical hip dislocation approach for select SCFE, Perthes and Hip(Femoracetabular) Impingement diagnoses.
- Pain management/clinical outcomes for Hip Preservation procedures.
- Clinical outcomes/Blood Loss management optimization for posterior spine fusions in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis.
- 2017-present Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Honors, Awards, and Achievements
- S3P (Safety in Spine Surgery) recognition/ certification for UNC Children’s Hospital (2018)
- IPOS Top Gun surgical skills challenge- 1st place (Dec 2012)
- POSNA / AAOS International Pediatric Orthopaedics Symposium Scholarship Recipient (Dec 2012, Dec 2010, Dec 2009)
- Ty Cobb Scholarship recipient (2001-2002)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta (2001-2002)
- Green BM, Stone JD, Bruce BW, Fletcher ND. The use of a transolecrannon pin in the treatment of pediatric flexion type supracondylar humerus fractures. JPO September 2017
- Stone JD, Hill MK, Pan Z, Novais EN, Open Reduction of Displaced Pediatric Femoral Neck Fractures Reduces Risk of Osteonecrosis. Orthopedics Vol 38, Nov 2015
- Bruce BT, Stone JD. External Fixation in Pediatric Trauma. Current Orthopaedic Practice. March/April 2011-Issue 2. P 157-161
- Bader J, Boland M, Stone JD, Uhl T, Pienkowski D. EMG Analysis of Abductor Pollicis Longus, Extensor Carpi Ulnaris and Flexor Carpi Ulnaris During Forearm Prono-Supination. ResearchGate. May 2015
UNC Orthopaedic Clinic at the Ambulatory Care Center (ACC)
102 Mason Farm Road
Chapel Hill, North Carolina - 27514