The human foot is a very complex structure with 26 bones, 33 joints and more than 100 ligaments and muscles working together to achieve a unique combination of stability and flexibility. Problems can arise in any of these specialized structures, especially with active adults.
The Foot and Ankle Service is a busy and integral part of the orthopaedic services at UNC. We are committed to excellence in treating patients surgically and non-surgically treatment for injuries and conditions of the ankle and foot. Examples of the services we provide are as follows:
- Total ankle arthroplasty and treatment of degenerative joint problems
- Deformity correction
- Minimally invasive and open fracture fixation
- Arthroscopic and endoscopic surgery of the ankle and foot
- Current approaches to soft tissue problems
- Limb salvage including the use of hybrid, circular and spatial frame constructs for deformity correction