- Yeshiva University, Bronx, 1993 - 1997
- Duke Sports Medicine, 2005 - 2006
- Area: Primary Care Sports Medicine
- Beth Israel Medical Center, 1997 - 1998
RESIDENCY AND CHIEF RESIDENCY
- Jacobi Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, 1998 - 2001
- Area: Emergency Medicine
- Certificate of Added Qualification-Sports Medicine, Board Certified
- Emergency Medicine, Board Certified
Keeping patients of all ages active:
- Tenex-minimally invasive partial tenotomy for chronic tendon problems
- Cytokine treatments
- Novel non-operative treatments for orthopaedic issues and sports medicine
- All general musculoskeletal issues as well as injuries specific to athletes of all types
- Special interests in MSK ultrasound; platelet rich plasma; endurance athletes
- Chronic tendinopathy
- Non-operative management of MSK injuries
- 2006- present Consultant; Assistant to Chief of Medical Affairs in ongoing medical issues and on-site medical assistance; NBA
- 2011- present Professor of Orthopaedics, UNC School of Medicine
- 2015- present Division Chief of Primary Care and Interventional Sports Medicine
- 2020- present Vice Chair of Clinical Operations
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons Ireland, 2018
- Best Doctors in America recipient, 2018
- FALD Leadership Course Attendant UNC, 2017
- Best Doctors in America recipient, 2017
- Accepted into UNC Faculty Leadership Course Taught by Dr. Haupt and Eringhaus, 2017
- Carolina Cares Excellence Leader, 2015
- Best Overall Research Award. AMSSM national conference, Las Vegas, NV, 2007
- NCAA Best Research Poster Award. AMSSM national conference, Santa Fe, NM, 2006
- Harry Galanty Young Investigator Award. AMSSM national conference, Austin, TX, 2005
- Fibrin glue as a non-invasive outpatient treatment for post-arthroscopic knee seromas. Berkoff DJ, Kanaan M, Kamath G. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013 Apr 12.
- Boggess BR, Berkoff, DJ. Dorsal Wrist Mass: The Carpal Boss. BMJ Case Reports 2011; doi:10.1136/bcr.01.2011.369
- Berkoff, DJ, Boggess BR. Carpal contusions in an elite platform diver. BMJ Case Reports 2011; doi:10.1136/bcr.01.2011.3691
- Sanchez L, Pereira J, Berkoff DJ . The evaluation of cardiac complaints in the marathon runner. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2009 May;36(4)396-76.
- Berkoff, DJ et al Heart Rate Variability in Elite American Track and Field Athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2007 Feb;21(1):227-31.
- Sanchez L, Corwell, Berkoff DJ. Ischemic colitis in marathon runners: a case-based review. J Emerg Med. 2006 Apr;30(3):321-6.
- Sanchez l, Berkoff DJ. Medical Problems of Marathon Runners. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2006 Sep;24(5):608-15.
- Berkoff, DJ Sanchez L Acute Angle Closure Glaucoma: An uncommon presentation of a common problem. JEM, June 2005
- Berkoff, DJ, Bytomski J, Toth A. Intramuscular Pectoralis Major Tear in a Lacrosse Player Performing The Bench Press; a Case Report In Press Journal of Athletic Training News
David Berkoff, MD